Illinois Green Ribbon Schools
Every school in Illinois can start on the path towards a more green and sustainable future. The Illinois Green Ribbon Schools Award recognizes schools that have active programs, actions and dedication to promote and educate about sustainability. Working in partnership with the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), USGBC-Illinois is accepting applications from school communities across Illinois. Your school is probably doing more than you think, especially when you add up all the great efforts from students, staff and parents. So why not showcase your school’s achievements and let your community know how much you have accomplished to green your school!
Winning applications for the Illinois Green Ribbon program demonstrate progress and achievements in each area of the three pillars of sustainability:
- Building Efficiency – reduce energy and water use and costs
- Healthy Environments – increase health and wellness of students and staff, as well as increase indoor air and water quality
- Environmental Literacy – increase student sustainability education and community civic engagement
The 2017 Application has been updated to make the process easier for schools to apply. We encourage all schools to apply and showcase their achievements!
Applications are scored by a panel of individuals with strong backgrounds in the three pillars. The top scoring schools are nominated by ISBE and submitted to the U.S. Department of Education’s Green Ribbon Schools Program for national recognition and award consideration.
Who should apply:
- Public & Private K-12 Schools and Districts
- Colleges & Universities
Click here for the 2017 application. The deadline for submitting the 2017 Illinois Green Ribbon Schools application is Friday, December 16 at noon.
|Dates to Remember|
|Click here for the 2017 application.||2017 Illinois Green Ribbon Schools Application Opens Thursday, September 1, 2016|
|Applications Due||12:00 PM on Friday, December 16, 2016|
|Selected nominees submitted by Illinois School Board of Education to the U.S. Department of Education||Wednesday, February 1, 2017|
|National Green Ribbon Schools Award Winners Announced||Monday, April 24, 2017|
Past Illinois school nominees and national winners include:
- Prairieview-Ogden South Elementary, Ogden
- Evanston-Skokie School District 65, Evanston
- Oak Lawn-Hometown Middle School, Oak Lawn-Hometown SD123,
- Woodland Primary School, Woodlands SD50, Gages Lake
- Prairie Crossing Charter School, Grayslake
- River Trails Middle School, River Trails SD26, Mt. Prospect
Sample Application from Past Winning School in Illinois:
If you have questions or need technical assistance filling out the application please email [email protected] or call (312) 245-8300.