In 2012 the U.S. Green Building Council – Illinois Chapter celebrates 10 years of green building education and advocacy in Illinois. Help us celebrate by participating in one, many, or all of the 10 ways below. Your support will make our next 10 years strong, vibrant, and even more impactful than the last!
1. Support the 10th Anniversary Campaign – As a non-profit, charitable organization, USGBC-Illinois relies on contributions from individuals, organizations, and corporations in order to achieve our mission of advancing buildings and communities that are sustainable, prosperous and healthy. Contributions supply 30 percent of our budget and the 10th Anniversary Campaign is the perfect time to support our work and help build a solid foundation for our next ten years. More information on the Campaign can be found here.
2. Promote Chapter membership – Chapter members are a vital part of our work. Member dues underwrite over 12 percent of our budget and Chapter members contribute thousands of hours annually to help us meet our mission. In celebration of our 10th Anniversary, the Chapter is offering several membership contests and prizes. Our members are also our best spokespeople, so help spread the word about the benefits of membership to your co-workers, colleagues, and friends while earning valuable prizes. More information on membership and the membership contests can be found here.
3. Volunteer with the Chapter – At USGBC-Illinois we have a big mission and a small staff. Our success over the past 10 years is due to the dedication of countless member volunteers who give of their time and talent. USGBC-Illinois will host a series of “Volunteerism” webinars throughout the year and host “Volunteer with us Booths” at many Chapter events for members to learn about all the ways they can volunteer. You can also learn more by stopping by or calling the Chapter office at (312) 245-8300, or by visiting the Chapter web site.
4. Participate in a Committee or Branch – As a volunteer-driven organization, USGBC-Illinois accomplishes its mission through a variety of content-specific committees and task forces and regional branches that extend our programs, advocacy, and resources across the state. Each committee and branch holds regular meetings and are looking for new members to engage to help us grow our impact in the current year and beyond. To learn more about participating in a committee or branch, visit the Chapter web site.
5. Learn about our new strategic plan – USGBC-Illinois is in the final stages of its new strategic plan that will guide our work over the next three years and beyond. The final plan will be finished later this winter. You can review our status to date here.
6. Attend our new, annual fundraiser, Limelight – Limelight is USGBC-Illinois’ new fundraising event to celebrate our 10th Anniversary and replaces the Emerald Gala. This year’s event will be held on Thursday, May 10 from 6-10pm at the Green Exchange’s Green Loft. Tickets start at $100 for members. More information on Limelight is available on the Chapter web site.
7. Explore our new education programs and conferences – USGBC-Illinois is the one-stop shop for green building education and for earning GBCI CE’s and AIA CEU’s. 2012 promises even more ways to learn including a full-day green conference and expo with the CSI-Chicago Chapter spring and fall credential maintenance blitzes that pack 8 hours of learning units into one day, and over 100 education programs on a variety of green building topics throughout Illinois. More is available here.
8. Engage in one of our advocacy initiatives – Local and state advocacy for green building related policies is a growing part of USGBC-Illinois’ work. Whether it’s education sessions on green codes or green communities for local governments, policy work with state officials, or our annual green building advocacy day in Springfield, USGBC-Illinois provides many ways for members to participate in government advocacy. More information on USGBC-Illinois’ advocacy programs can be found on the Chapter web site.
9. Give back to the community through one of our community service projects – Green buildings and communities aren’t just for some people, they are for everyone. USGBC-Illinois believes strongly in supporting community projects across Illinois. In 2012 USGBC-Illinois plans several opportunities for members to participate. The Chapter is also looking into other community service opportunities to commemorate our 10th Anniversary. Check here for the latest information and details on how to participate.
10. Engage with us and with the Illinois green building community – We’re launching a new blog in early 2012 and revamping our online member community to provide virtual ways for our members to engage. Illinois is a big state, but we can bridge the distance gap with just a few clicks. More information can be found, here.
11. Be the “You” in USGBC. Make an individual commitment to make your home, building, or community greener – We can count (really). We know this is 11, but we all can make a difference every day to make our homes, buildings, and communities greener. We encourage everyone to make a commitment to at least one new way you can make a difference. You can share your commitments and your progress on them throughout the year on the Chapter’s new blog, which will launch during winter 2012. Learn more here.